Jim Chow, M.D.
Dr. Jim Chow has been a member of the Columbia Skin Clinic family since 1991. He is a trained Mohs Micrographic surgeon who uses the highly effective technique to identify and remove skin cancer. Certified by the American Board of Dermatology, Dr. Chow also provides reconstructive and cosmetic dermatologic surgery for patients at the Columbia office.
Quality patient care is his primary mission, and he enjoys helping a variety of patients tackle challenging issues. Dr. Chow’s dedication to his patients is unparalleled, earning him several awards over the years. To name a few, he’s been recognized as Physician of the Year by the South Carolina Medical Association and Dermatologist of the Year by South Carolina Dermatological Association, and he’s been honored with the Algernon Sidney Sullivan Award for Humanitarian Service. Readers of the Columbia Metropolitan Magazine have voted him as a Top Doctor in the Midlands for multiple years.
A graduate of the School of Medicine at the University of South Carolina, Dr. Chow extended his training at Vanderbilt University Medical Center for a Wound Healing Fellowship and Dermatology Residency and Harvard University for an Advanced Cutaneous Laser Post Fellowship. He went on to complete his Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institution and attend the John F. Kennedy School of Government.
With over 30 years in the military, Dr. Chow is a retired Major General and Former Assistant to the Director Air National Guard USAF. He’s served as the Past President of both the South Carolina Dermatological Association and Columbia Medical Society. He is a member of the American Medical Association, American Academy of Dermatology, Columbia Medical Society, South Carolina Medical Association, South Carolina Dermatological Association, American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology and American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
Dr. Chow is married with three children. Outside of medicine, he loves learning about technology, current events and vintage automobiles.
- University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center Wound Healing Fellowship
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center Dermatology Residency
- Johns Hopkins Medical Institution Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship
- Harvard University
- John F. Kennedy School of Government 2012, 2014
- American Board of Dermatology – Fellowship Trained, Mohs Micrographic Surgery
- Certification in National and International Security 2012, 2013 – John F. Kennedy School of Government
- Past President, South Carolina Dermatological Association
- Past President, Columbia Medical Society
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Dermatology
- South Carolina Medical Association
- American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine/Dermatology, University of South Carolina
- Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery, University of South Carolina
- Former Assistant to the USAF Surgeon General
- Former Assistant to the Director Air National Guard USAF
- 30 Years Service, Major General – Retired
- South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners (2006- present)
- ANG/USAF Medical Officer of the Year 1995, 2000
- University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Alumni of the Year
- South Carolina Medical Association, Physician of the Year
- South Carolina Dermatological Association, Dermatologist of the Year
- Order of the Palmetto
- Algernon Sidney Sullivan Award for Humanitarian Service
- Voted Best Doctor in America (Dermatology) 2011-2012 by Columbia Metropolitan Magazine
- Top Doctors 2015, 2016 & 2017 featured in Columbia Metropolitan Magazine
- Order of the Palmetto by the Governor of SC
- Palmetto Cross recipient for military service
- Palmetto Richland Hospital
- Skin Cancer Surgery
- Dermatologic Reconstructive Surgery
- Cutaneous Laser Surgery
- Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery
schedule a consultation
Our dermatologists are here to help.