Melissa Munoz, M.D.
Dr. Melissa Munoz is certified in anatomic pathology and dermatopathology by the American Board of Pathology and American Board of Dermatology. She joined Columbia Skin Clinic in 2010 and became the laboratory director in 2015.
Skin pathology is a very dynamic field with many inflammatory conditions, as well as cancer and melanomas. Dr. Munoz enjoys making the correlation between the clinical presentation with a patient and what she sees under the microscope.
Originally from Costa Rica, Dr. Munoz earned her medical degree from Universidad de Ciencias Medicas in San Jose. Over 15 years ago, she moved to the United States to pursue her dream of training in the states to cultivate her invaluable dermatologic expertise. In 2010, she finished a dermatopathology fellowship at Roger Williams Medical Center in Providence, Rhode Island. In 2009, she completed a surgical pathology fellowship at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. In Pennsylvania, she concluded her residency in Anatomic Pathology at Hahnemann University Hospital in 2008.
Dr. Munoz is a member of the College of American Pathologist (CAP), American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), American Society of Dermatopathology (ASDP) and South Carolina Medical Association (SCMA).
She is married with three daughters, and she enjoys spending quality time with her family. Outside of the house and office, Dr. Munoz enjoys staying fit by working out at Barre3 or swimming.
- Universidad Autonoma de Centroamerica, Costa Rica (2001)
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Drexel University College of Medicine / Hahnemann Hospital, Pennsylvania (2004-2008)
- Surgical Pathology Fellowship, Emory University Hospital, Atlanta, Georgia (2008-2009)
- Dermatopathology Fellowship, Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island (2009-2010)
- American Board of Pathology (Anatomic and Dermatopathology)
- College of American Pathologist
- South Carolina Medical Association
- American Academy of Dermatology International Society of Dermatopathology
- American Society of Dermatopathology
schedule a consultation
Our dermatologists are here to help.