Sean Thomas, M.D.
Dr. Sean Thomas is a board-certified dermatologist with 24 years of military medical service. He started his career as a family physician and later discovered his love of dermatology. He was drawn to this specialty by the broad range of conditions that are both clinically and technically challenging, leading him to practice general medical and surgical dermatology.
In his time with the U.S. Army, Dr. Thomas has deployed to Africa, Kosovo, Turkey and twice to Iraq. He was stationed in Germany for five years and visited numerous European countries. Prior to joining Columbia Skin Clinic in 2018, Dr. Thomas served as Chief over the Dermatology Clinic as well as the Department of Medicine at Womack Army Medical Center in Fort Bragg, N.C.
His past experiences have led to his appreciation for the role of the patient’s family in providing care for patients of all ages. Getting to know his patients and their families while helping with their dermatologic conditions makes his job most fulfilling.
When Dr. Thomas is not taking care of patients, he spends time with his family. A father of four, Dr. Thomas’s oldest son is serving in the Army, and his youngest is in grade school. His two daughters are in college – one at N.C. State University and the other at Furman University.
Also a fan of the outdoors, Dr. Thomas has a soft spot in his heart for the Boy Scouts of America. An Eagle Scout himself, he has remained active in the organization and its programs for decades.
Dr. Thomas serves patients in Columbia and Camden.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, 1997
- Family Medicine Residency, Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon, GA 1997 to 2000
- Family Medicine Faculty Development Fellowship, 2007-2008
- Dermatology Residency, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 2009 -2012
- American Board of Dermatology
- Assistant Professor – Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, School of Medicine,
- Department of Family Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland, 2007-2009
- Assistant Professor – Methodist University, Physician Assistant Studies, Fayetteville, North Carolina, 2005-2009
- American Academy of Dermatology
- North Carolina Dermatology Association
- Association of Military Dermatologist
- American Medical Association
- Association of the United States Army
- Official Order of Military Medical Merit
- Expert Field Medic Badge
- Bronze Star with one oak leaf cluster
- Meritorious Service, Battalion Surgeon, 1-67th Combined Arms Battalion, Iraq 2008 -2009
- Meritorious Service, Brigade Surgeon, First Infantry Division, US Army, Iraq 2004-2005
- Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
- Meritorious Service as Faculty Physician at Womack Army Medical Center, 2005 – 2009
- Meritorious Service as a Brigade Surgeon, First Infantry Division, US Army, 2002 -2005
- Army Commendation Medal – 2 awards
- Army Achievement Medal – 4 awards
- National Defense Service Medal – 2 awards
- Kosovo Campaign Medal
- Iraq Campaign Medal – 4 Campaign Stars
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon – 3 tours
- NATO Service Medal
Academic and Achievement
- 2007 Womack AMC, Family Medicine Residency Faculty Member of the Year
- 2000 DDEAMC Family Practice Residency – Anthony Jerrant Award for Excellence in Research
- 1997 Association of the U.S. Army Award (USUHS) – Most Outstanding Army Student
- 1997, 1995, 1990 Who’s Who Among Students
- 1993 Distinguished Academic Achievement Award – Gross Anatomy
- 1993 Eric S. Dellecker Memorial Award (West Chester University, most outstanding pre-medical student)
- 1991 President’s Award – Marriott Corp
- 1990 Outstanding Senior Athletic Trainer Award (West Chester University)
- 1988 Physical Education Department Scholarship
- 1986 Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts of America)
schedule a consultation
Our dermatologists are here to help.